Protecting Your Identity
"Your personal information is a valuable commodity. It’s not only the key to your financial identity, but also to your online identity. Knowing how to protect your information — and your identity — is a must in the 21st century."
-The Federal Trade Commission
WHAT CAN YOU DO?
The most important thing you can do to protect your personal information is to make sure you don’t give it away. Information to keep secure and confidential at all times includes social security numbers, account numbers, debit/credit card numbers, PIN numbers, user IDs and passwords.
TIPS ON PREVENTING IDENTITY THEFT
- Keep all ID types and financial documents in a secure and private place
- Provide personal information only when you initiated contact with the organization using your information and you know how it will be used
- Before you provide personal information ask if the information will be shared
- Remove mail from your mailbox promptly
- Memorize your Social Security number rather than carrying your Social Security card
- Periodically review your credit report
RECOVERING FROM IDENTITY THEFT
- Report fraudulent activity as quickly as possible. You can always call CSB Loyal 1-800-599-8399
- To report fraudulent activity on your debit card outside of banking hours call Shazam 1-800-383-8000
- For even more information and tips you can also visit IdentityTheft.gov
The Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) requires each of the nationwide credit reporting companies, Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion, to provide you with a free copy of your credit report, at your request, once every 12 months.
To order visit annualcreditreport.com